OEM 13c (13.2) has many new features which make this version more useful than the previous OEM versions. If you are moving from OEM 12c to OEM 13c first change you will find will be that the appearance and look and feel of application is change a lot. In the starting you may feel little overwhelmed as you may be working for long in OEM 13c and may have got accustomed to it.
Some of the noteworthy new features of OEM 13.2 are mentioned below:
1. ENHANCED SUPPORT FOR VIRTUALIZATION SOFTWARES
Oracle VM enables virtual machines to be deployed, managed, and moved throughout Oracle’s public and private cloud infrastructure. Oracle Enterprise Manager 13c can manage Oracle VM technologies efficiently. The Enterprise Manager for Oracle Virtualization (VT) Plug-in has been extended to work seamlessly with Oracle’s latest server virtualization product, Oracle VM Release 3.4
2. ENHANCEMENT TO DATABASE MANAGEMENT
Key improvements to database management:
- Lifecycle management of database 12.2
- Database as a Service support for database 12.2
- Discovery and administrative operations of application containers and associated PDBs is also supported
- Per-PDB snapshots and reporting in a multi-tenant environment for better accuracy
- Provides intuitive visualization for PDB level resource usage distribution
3. ENHANCEMENT TO WEBLOGIC MANAGEMENT
Key improvements to Weblogic Management:
- Provisioning and Patching Support for WebLogic Release 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 Domains
- Ability to configure and tune application deployments directly from the Oracle Enterprise Manager 13c
- Ability to stop and restart one server at a time, ensuring zero down time for applications
- Provides faster and more reliable installation of JVMD agents on WebLogic servers
- Enhanced Java Workload Explorer user interface, allows for easy zoom-in and granular view of at 1 second intervals.
- Administrators can now perform start or stop operations against Oracle WebLogic Node Manager targets directly from the Oracle Enterprise Manager OEM.
- Administrators can now create, edit, and delete resource groups, resource group templates, virtual targets, and partitions directly from the OEM
4. ENHANCEMENT TO INFRASTRUCTURE MANAGEMENT
Key improvements to infrastructure management:
- Discovery and Monitoring of New Hardware Targets example Oracle Server X6-2
- Support for creating a RAC Cluster including VMs, Oracle Database, Grid Infrastructure and ASM
Below are specific new features which were not present in earlier OEM 12c verison:
5. NOTIFICATIONS BLACKOUT
This was one key new feature in 13c when compared to OEM 12c .In OEM 12c, normal blackouts suppress monitoring on targets in order to perform maintenance operations on those targets. In OEM 13c, besides targets blackout you have notification blackouts also that are used solely for suppressing the notification on a target while the agent continues to monitor the target. The OMS shows the actual target status, along with a message that the target is under notification blackout.
6. JVM DIAGNOSTIC
Java Workload Explorer is provides as a JVM diagnostics feature in OEM 13c (this was not present in OEM 12c). This new feature enables you to investigate causes for slowness in your Java applications.
7. “ALWAYS ON” MONITORING
Oracle Enterprise Manager 13c introduced “always on” monitoring, where a small companion monitoring application continues to receive critical alerts from the agents even when the management server is down for some planned maintenance. One can start the application, take Oracle Enterprise Manager down for patching and still continued to be alerted on critical events.
In OEM 13c2, Always-On Monitoring can now be installed on a different host than the Oracle Management Service. This allows Always-On Monitoring to provide continuous monitoring of targets when the Oracle Management Service host is not available.
8. BRAND NEW GUI
Yes, OEM 13c looks way different than OEM 12c when you login to it. The overall theme has been updated to match that of other Oracle Products so that OEM fits perfectly well in the big picture.
You can read a lot more new features in 13c over 12c at this Oracle Link.
[Post Views: 146]
You can connect with me on LinkedIn.
Latest posts by Brijesh Gogia (see all)
- Performance Tuning Basics 16 : Using SQL Tuning Health-Check Script (SQLHC) - April 1, 2018
- Physical and Logical Block Corruption in Oracle Database - March 10, 2018
- Performance Tuning Basics 15 : AWR Report Analysis - February 6, 2018